Content Writing for SEO: How to Create Content that Ranks in Google
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) content is, quite simply, content that’s designed to rank in search engines like Google. It’s not under the carpet anymore that SEO and content go hand-in-hand. The prime goal of SEO content is to attract search engine traffic. The SEO content can vary from product pages, blogs, articles, lists, guides, videos, infographics, slideshows to glossaries.
Nowadays be it, content readers, customers, or netizens all prefer custom content otherwise without SEO the content may be lost somewhere on page 50 of the search results, and know traffic on those pages is less than satisfactory.
No matter how top-notch the content maybe but if it gets lost in the search ranks the efforts, value, and engagement are lost. Hence, The first-page ranking has the potential to direct the audience to the page and initiate content post-clicks. That’s why a good relationship between SEO and great content is essential.
To curate content that ranks in Google, one must follow the following tips-
- Write suiting to the target audience: The content doesn’t have to be on the same line every time. One’s content could be on the topics that appeal to their audience and suits the likes of the target audience. Like a company selling a product doesn’t have to restrict their content to its product, it can write about the industry asserting itself as an expert in it by making SEO-friendly content that is both interesting and informative.
- Use headlines that pack a punch: Readers lose interest if the text is lengthy and cumbersome thus one has a very short amount of text to make a very big impression. So never underestimate the power of an effective headline! Write headlines that are clear and engaging. Make use of rich keywords and interesting meta descriptions that sketch out the quality of the page. Always keep in mind that the title and meta description are what show up in the search results, so make them count!
- Use keyword-rich phrases: Use relevant, keyword-rich phrases in the headlines as well as throughout the content to let both the readers and the search engines know what the post is about. But beware, too many keywords will not only turn off readers but can result in search engine penalties for keyword stuffing. Use keywords thoughtfully, sticking to a cohesive flow.
- Incorporate imagery: Insert images in the posts! People are visual. Adding an image along within the content can make a big impression. In addition to promoting the content across various social media channels, posts with images can also be pinned, adding another avenue for traffic to the website.
- Implement Google Authorship: Google Authorship is a quick and easy way to tie content to a certain author, all one needs is a Google+ account. As a result, the articles come up as rich snippets in the search results featuring the author’s photo along with the article title. Google Authorship is great for personal promotion, but can also increase the click-through rate to the articles.
- Promote natural link building: Link is an important ranking factor for SEO. Linking to one’s own articles or website in your post ensures a link back to the host website if the article is picked up by another site. Creating great content helps increase the reach and if other websites will link to it, it will amplify the sharability and likeability so aim for quality!
- Monitor activity: Stay on top of the SEO-friendly content by monitoring your efforts. Google Analytics is a simple and free way to track page views and the average time spent on a page. Check things like bounce rate and time on site to get an idea of how users interact with the website after landing on the content. If one sees a high drop-off in addition to a low average time spent on the page, that’s an indication that the content wasn’t relevant to what they were looking for, or worse, wasn’t interesting. Also, one must take a look at the social interactions (shares, likes, etc ) to get an idea of the virality of your post.
One must tick mark this to-do list while writing their SEO content-
- Keyword Research- write towards topics that people are already searching for.
- Keyword Optimisation- know where and how to use keywords for maximum searchability.
- Content Organisation- organize content in a logical way.
- Content Promotion- increase the visibility of the content by sharing it on social media networks.
Before starting one must develop their personalized SEO content strategy suiting their audience and goals. To conclude, both SEO and content writing are important pieces to the puzzle of a great outreach strategy, so it’s important to use quality techniques to ensure higher traffic and engagement on one’s website.
Written by Priyanka Singhal for The Growup Group